Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Interview Transcript With Lucina Mendez

Romance Novels

Q: Who are the four authors you keep up with now?
A: The four romance authors I keep up with (read all there books) gets a little tricky, as one author writes under several names. So number one is;
1.Janie Ann Krentz, Amanda Quick, Jayne Castle, and Stephaine James. She writes contemporary romances (takes places in the last 30 yrs (or so), historical romances, and sci-fi romances, all of which I read.
2. Nora Roberts
3. Julia Quinn
4. Janet Evanovich

Q: What do you like about these particular authors?
A: I like books that are funny. Some novelist I mentioned tends to have an element of comedy in their books, or their heroines are women I can identify with. They also tend to be fast paced and have many surprises and are also informative, without trying to be.

Q: What was the first romance novel you ever read called?
A: Wander Lust by Danielle Steele. This is amazing that I remember this because I've read thousands; also I was 13yrs old when I read my first. You never forget that first book that grabs you. My mother was complaining at the time because she was handing me money left and right to buy baby- sitter club books, which by that time were taking me about 15 minutes to read. She grabbed a book off her shelf and told me "This will take you a while." and I was hooked.

Q: When did you read your first romance novel?
A:(See above)

Q: What was this first romance novel about?
A: The first novel I ever read was about a woman who was orphaned at age 13, and went to live with her grandfather who is sickly. Even though she was very young she ends up taking care of them. She finally gets the guts up to travel the world like she has always wanted, but them she has to deal with world war one, and all sorts of drama with her lover. It was awesome.


Q: What are the titles of some of your favorite romance novels?
A: Rendezvous- Amanda Quick Scandalous- Amanda Quick
Table for two- Nora Roberts Romancing Mr. Bridgerton - Julia Quinn

Q: What did you like about these favorites?
A: Scandalous is a book about a women fossil collector living a small town in England during the turn of the 18th century, who falls in love with a man with a scarred face and dark past, I liked it be cause the female character was mentally and physically very strong in an age when women weren't supposed to be.

The thing that all of these books have in common is a very smart female lead, who is devoted to her craft, but still very good people. I like these books because I strive to be like those women, I guess.

Q: Who were these stories about?
A: The main characters of all these books were smart women, who are successful in their field.

Q: Where did some of these stories take place?
A: All take place in England (which many historical romance novels take place in) except the Nora Roberts one that takes place in New York.

Q: Where do you like reading these novels?
A: Wherever I can, but mostly in a rocking chair I keep in my room for just that purpose.

Q: What do you like most about romance novels?
A:The adventure aspect. Think Indiana Jones.

Q: What made you start reading romance novels?
A:They are more fun than other genres. Most have morale, and a happy ending. When I am entertaining myself, I like to have fun. I've read some weightier stuff, and enjoy it, but for a quick read the romance is the way to go.

Q: How long does it take you to finish one of these novels?
A: I read about 80 pgs and hour and most books are about 3-5 hundred pages.

Q: What novel are you reading now?
A: I just got done reading Dan Browns latest book The Lost symbol. This is not a romance novel, but it might as well b, because he always involves an attractive, smart heroine who helps him solve the crime in the Robert Langdon series, also the author always suggests a possible something going on between characters. He just refrains from telling you when, and how they consummated their friendship which is why romance novels are superior, as they describe them in detail.

Q: What other type of books do like to read?
A: I read a lot of biographies, autobiographies, and non-fiction stuff about religion and the occult, but I judge by author not by genre, since they often overlap. Some other favorite authors of mine are:

Dan Brown
Carl Sagan
Terry Goodkind
John Grisham
J.K Rowlings
J.D Robbs (who is also Nora Roberts)
Jane Austin
Emily Bronte

I could literally go on forever, there are hundreds.

4 comments:

  1. I would focus on what made her decide to start reading in the first place. She has some great points on why she likes that genre. Also I would focus on how long it takes her to finish a book, it doesn't take long at all! It's an interesting thing to know for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good interview. I like how you had such detailed questions and how you asked a lot of good questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good questions- good interview! I like that you asked where do you read, its different and I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this whole interview. I like the question, "What do you like about these particular authors?" If I was writing this story, I think I'd focus on how she started reading and what she's reading today.

    ReplyDelete