Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dos and Don'ts of Leads

I've learned that a lead should stress the unusual. Leads also should be concise. This helps keep the reader interested and wanting to read on. Using strong, active verbs helps in doing this.

There are many ways you don't want to write a lead. Exaggeration and not stating the obvious are a few that I've learned thus far. Stating the obvious makes the story ineffective. It makes the reader feel like they've read similar stories before. Exaggerating the lead makes your story weaker.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice summary, Ken. I agree that the point of the lead is to capture the interest of the reader. I have noticed many writers exaggerate to do that, but you are correct that it makes the story weaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to learn how to stress the unusual in a more effective way. I think this could be very fun. I think what will be most fun is learning from our mistakes and looking back at everything we have learned. :)

    ReplyDelete